Happy Valentines day lovers!
- 12 slices (1 inch thick) French bread
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Additional semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 lb strawberries, halved
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 1. To make French Toast: Grease bottom and sides of 13×9-inch pan; line with bread slices.
- 2. In 2-quart saucepan, heat milk, cream, butter, granulated sugar, vanilla and salt to simmering over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in 3/4 cup chocolate chips until melted and smooth. Gradually beat in eggs with whisk until well combined and mixture thickens.
- 3. Pour chocolate mixture evenly over bread. Make sure to coat bread completely, turning slices over if necessary. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 8 hours. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- 4. Heat oven to 375°F. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until chocolate mixture sets. Meanwhile, make Strawberry Syrup.
- 5. To make Strawberry Syrup: Heat strawberries and maple syrup in 1-quart saucepan to simmering over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until strawberries have softened. Slightly mash strawberries with fork or potato masher. Keep syrup warm until ready to serve. Serve with warm French toast sprinkled with powdered sugar and additional chocolate chips.
- 6. Garnish French toast with extra chocolate chips and a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.